Michael B. Elefante is a Managing Director of Hemenway Trust Company. Until his retirement in 2014, he also served as HTC's Chief Investment Officer. He has over 30 years of experience serving as an individual trustee on many large, multigenerational family trust complexes at Hemenway & Barnes LLP. Mike has also served on many corporate boards including Dow Jones & Company, Inc. and Citi Performing Arts Center. While at Hemenway & Barnes LLP, Mike served as the managing partner for six years.
- Trustee of both private trusts and charitable trusts and foundations
- Acted as the lead trustee for the Bancroft trusts in the sale of Dow Jones & Co., Inc. to News Corporation
- Successfully manages private trusts for high net-worth families
- Co-trustee of Jane’s Trust, one of the leading philanthropies in New England
- Life Member of the American Law Institute
- Recipient of the Dow-Gardiner-Landrum Award from Greater Boston Legal Services
- Named as a New England Super Lawyer
Activities and Publications
Mike speaks on issues arising from the management of charitable trusts and foundations and has recently addressed groups sponsored by the Maine Center for Philanthropy, the Council on Foundations and the Boston College Center on Wealth and Philanthropy.
Mike is a member of the consultative group on the Fourth Restatement of Trusts published by the American Law Institute of which he is a life member.
- Director, Citi Performing Arts Center, and Chair of the Governance Committee
- Director, Chair—Legislative Committee, and Past President Greater Boston Legal Services (increased endowment and acquired headquarters building during tenure as President)
- Member, Advisory Board of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University
- Trust Fund Commissioner for the Town of Winchester