As a Senior Vice President at Hemenway Trust Company, Charlie Platt advises individuals and families on all aspects of trust administration. Charlie is also a partner at Hemenway & Barnes LLP where he works with individuals and families on their personal planning needs, including estate and charitable planning, as well as probate administration.
Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, 2013-2018
Selected Activities and Publications
- Co-authored the Trusts & Estates Magazine article, “Depression-Era Trusts Come Home to Roost,” December 2016
- Former Co-chair, Tax Law Updates Committee, Trusts and Estates Section, Boston Bar Association
- Secretary of New York City Bar Trusts, Estates, and Surrogate’s Courts Committee, 2011-2013
- Co-authored “Mitigating New York Trust Income, Tax Return Preparers Pay Attention!” in Steve Leimberg’s Income Tax Planning Newsletter, March 2013
- Co-authored “New York State and City Income Taxation of Nongrantor Trusts: Rules and Opportunities,” 37 Tax Mgmt. Est., Gifts & Tr. J., July 2012
- Authored “Planned Giving and the Model Rules of Professional Conduct,” The Family Foundation Advisor, November 2010
- Spoke at ALI-ABA’s Charitable Giving Techniques Continuing Legal Education seminar regarding Ethical Issues in Planned Giving, June 2010
- Delivered presentation “Estate Planning for Parents: Documents To Consider Regardless of Your Wealth (Or Lack Thereof)” as part of Diversity Committee Lecture Series, October 2009
Charlie’s Comment on Trust and Estate Administration
“The role of a fiduciary entails developing customized, creative solutions to real-life issues. I enjoy getting to know clients, learning about what is important to them and their families, and assisting them with their planning needs."