Michael J. Puzo is a Managing Director, Treasurer and Chair of the Investment Committee of Hemenway Trust Company. Michael has over 30 years of experience in hands-on trust management, working with individuals, families and charities.
Also a partner at Hemenway & Barnes, Michael chairs the firm’s Trust Investment Committee and has served as managing partner and chair of the firm’s Private Client Group. Michael devotes substantial time to sophisticated estate and charitable gift planning and providing counsel to individuals on a broad range of family issues.
- At HTC, Michael works with clients on a broad spectrum of personal and financial issues. These range from the family concerns and tensions that often arise in hands-on trust management; working through financial plans with older clients and those new to having financial resources; addressing the sale of the family business held in trust, with all the complexities that such a decision entails; and making sure that a client’s trust planning gives voice to his or her personal objectives and values.
- On the investment front, Michael has oversight for HTC’s asset management practice for individuals and families, both for private assets and retirement accounts. He oversees a team of investment professionals to formulate the firm’s strategic, cyclical and tactical asset allocations. He provides guidance on market implications to meet clients’ family and financial goals.
- Founder’s Medal Recipient, Boston College Law School. Awarded to a graduate who embodies the tradition of professionalism, scholarship and service that the Law School seeks to instill in its students.
- Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers List, 2005-2018
Activities and Publications
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Faculty member for educational programs presented by MCLE, the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and the Planned Giving Group of New England, where he has spoken on donative intent in charitable giving and legislative developments and the current state of federal estate and gift taxes
A resident of Hingham, MA, Michael has been active in the town's civic affairs for over 30 years.
- Currently, he serves as Hingham Town Moderator, presiding at Hingham Town Meeting, with responsibility for appointing citizens to various town boards and committees
- Former Chairman, Hingham Personnel Board, with responsibility for the town's employee relations, union negotiations, and personnel policies
Additionally, Michael is involved with various organizations in a wide range of leadership capacities:
- Chair, Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Boston Lyric Opera
- Trustee and former Board Chair, South Shore Conservatory
- Member, Dean's Advisory Board, Boston College Law School
Michael Puzo’s Comment on Trends in Trusts and Estates
“Having been a part of the H&B and HTC communities for my entire career has been a profound privilege. Earning a client’s confidence, keeping that confidence, and helping a client through hard times – these are just some of the gifts that come with this profession. With all of the uncertainties and complexities of modern financial life, being part of a firm that is committed to the individual and his or her success gives my work true meaning.”